Free lessons samples
FLAMENCO GUITAR MAKING ONLINE COURSE
More than just a guitar making course... a complete flamenco guitar documentary.
Welcome to the Robert O’Brien Online Flamenco Guitar Building Course. In this course Robert invites Spanish Luthier, Paco Chorobo of Chorobo Guitars, to show how to build and finish a flamenco guitar in the traditional Spanish method. Robert visits Paco in his shop in Úbeda, Spain where Paco guides you through every step of building and finishing a concert flamenco guitar. In addition he takes you on a tour of Southern Spain where he visits and interviews luthiers, players, singers, dancers, a percussionist and even an historian about everything flamenco. This course can be considered a documentary on the flamenco guitar and culture.
Paco, focuses on the use of hand tools and the traditional solera for the construction method throughout the video and not only explains, but shows in great detail every step in the construction process. In the finishing chapter he shows how to apply a traditional French polish finish using olive oil produced in his city.
This course has over 140 video lessons and approximately 26 hours of very detailed step by step instructions. Chapters can be purchased separately or receive a discount when purchasing the entire course. When purchasing the complete course you get a copy of Paco’s flamenco guitar plans. You also become eligible to join Robert’s invitation only google chat group. Here he offers advice and support as you build. There is a wealth of information available to you for free.
To begin just register/login and purchase the video lessons. You may then either stream or download the videos.
- Laying out and making the neck with a Spanish heel
- Selecting materials – soundboards, backs and sides
- Optimum soundboard and back stiffness
- Thicknessing and bending sides
- Assembly using the traditional solera
- Making bindings and purflings
- Slotting, thicknessing and tapering the fretboard
- Neck angle and shaping
- Finishing with hide glue and French polished shellac
- 18 hole flamenco bridge design
- Optimum setup for flamenco action
- How to make a solera
- The history of the flamenco guitar and its role in flamenco music